Sunday, October 12, 2014

UAVs

           UAVs are currently being used with our military for spying airstrikes.  I don’t exactly know if UAVs are regulated but after looking up some information I found that UAVs are restricted to fly in certain areas only by the government and are highly regulated only to be used by the military on the scale of bigger bomb equipped drones. 

            I do see UAVs being integrated into the NAS, it’s just a matter of time to see when it will exactly happen in the future.  Problems I see resulting from this are simple issues that may have to be worked out in the beginning like communications with ATC which I don’t see as that big of deal.  What I find to be a big deal and an issue are the “what ifs”.  What if the aircraft loses signal or malfunction and someone needs to control it from the plane.  What if the aircraft gets hijacked through our defense system, etc. People and the general public will really have to be trusting to hop on an airplane that is controlled by a guy sitting in a basement.

            UAVs have transformed military strategy by not risking a well-invested military pilot for risky missions.  UAVs, though expensive, can be spared over an American pilot and his fighter jet or bomber.  UAVs are also a lot smaller, therefore giving them the possibility to be able to fly a lot quieter and higher in the air making them less recognizable. Their consideration has been beneficial I would say.  UAVs do coast a lot of money, yes, but from a financial reason, they may be cheaper by the time you compare all the training coasts invested into an F16 pilot and the coasts invested into a UAV and Pilot for that.  UAVs I find to be ethical as well, I don’t see why they wouldn’t be.  They can perform missions and if something goes wrong, it’s better then losing a human being.

            Most UAV jobs that I found were all for the military, but there were a few UAV jobs with major companies like Grumman, Lockheed, Boeing, and Airbus on the internet that I found.  I don’t know if they were exactly for UAV pilots but they requested UAV pilot experience.  They seemed to be more geared towards research and development jobs.


1 comment:

  1. Do you think there will ever be a time when technology advancements have resolved enough of the "what ifs" so that the public would be comfortable flying on them?

    ReplyDelete