Sunday, September 7, 2014

AVT 422 Intro

     How did I get into aviation?  I got into aviation by growing up and listening to my grandfather talk and tell stories about his flying career.  He grew up crop dusting at the age of 12 with the family business and retired with GM.  I was fascinated with his stories and when it came time to choose a career in my life, it was an easy decision.

     In aviation I either plan on going to the regionals and building my time, since that is pretty much the only liable option to get into a jet being a green horn at 1500 hours, or I plan on going into corporate if I can find a company that will hire someone with such low time.  I know a few corporate chief pilots but I don't know how far that will go with being able to fly with them, or if that's even possible without experience.  I have also really been considering ATC since I was accepted into it and received an Offer Letter from the FAA with a class date from April 15th to June 30 of 2015. I do think ATC would be interesting and a highly focused task job just like being a pilot, which intrigues me.  There are pros and cons to both that I think of daily, and I just haven't made my full decision yet on which field to pursue.

     Current topics that interest me are obviously aviation tragedies, for example, the story of the gentlemen and his wife that lost pressurization in their brand new TBM 900 while flying to Caribbean Islands I believe.  I also am very interested in reading articles that talk about a pilots starting salary in the regionals, I still can't believe it's an average of $23,000/year about.  Aviation topics that I don't so much find interesting but I know they are important to know are FAR's.  FAR's are pretty much black and white which is a good thing I guess, as a pilot with constant changing FAR's it's always good to stay fresh on them and know the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment